Thursday, February 01, 2007

Blogging: What do you call it?

The term blogging elicits fear, excitement, and confusion. Possibly all at once too. Living in DC, I've become a little sensitive to the many-meaning-one-worded, words. Think 'republican' and 'democrat'. Need I say anymore?

Taking it one step further, I do think there is comfort in labeling (or tagging) things, people, and experiences as we see them. In fact, The Pew Internet & American Life Project's recent study concluded that 28% of internet users have tagged or categorized content online.

I might be out on a limb here, but I suspect every day, every person we meet, and every experience we share, we assign a label. As creatures of habit, we are constantly looking for meaning of everything we do and labeling helps us accomplish this task. Hence the loaded words.

And that's why I feel I shouldn't be the one who labels our blogging experience, blogging. I'm sure we'll use the term eventually, but as we turn the corner with greater voices coming through the redesigned site, I'm hoping that we develop our own meaning instead of starting out with what I think it means. Know what I mean?

Here are a couple of open-ended alternatives to throw out in the place of blogging:

  • Two-way communication channel through personal narratives.
  • Civic engagement tool.
  • Storytelling page.
  • User-generated material where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order. (thanks wikipedia)
  • A publication of personal thoughts and web links.
Any other ideas what we could call blogging?

No comments: