Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Very cool web 2.0 wiki for non-profits

I haven't participated in the *conversation* as much as I would like, but I think Best Practices in Using Web 2.0 in Nonprofits is a great example of walking the talk.

Over the last few months, I've been looking into different wiki platforms to test functionality for when we launch our wiki glossary of river terms on the redesigned national site - see the front page mock-up, left navigation.

I've looked in to (and tested some) wikispaces, Socialtext, Mediawiki, and PBwiki. I'm sure all have their perks, but I'm still a bit unsure what would be the best fit for us. I'm probably leaning toward Mediawiki (hard to go wrong when backed by the wikipedia foundation as a friend pointed out), but the real question for us is what will work the best within Convio's Content Management System (CMS).

I'm chatting with folks from Convio on Wednesday to talk about this as well as introduce our second half partners (firm who'll attach code to the designs) with the national site redesign, The Element Agency. I'd really like the river glossary page to look like all of our other pages, regardless if it is hosted elsewhere. The blog will have to be hosted outside of Convio - couldn't get around that - but I'd prefer to keep it simple with just the blog living outside.

I've found some great examples to model our effort after, Techsoup, Reuters, and MobileActive. I'm really excited about the wiki, very cool stuff.

No comments: